Thursday, June 17, 2010

When your bird is broken, will it bring you down?


I needed to do some watercolor sketching. I always have a problem mixing greens, so I wanted to practice, but I didn't want to paint leaves or landscapes. So, here we have a group of seven green species of birds, partially inspired by the Beatles' song "And Your Bird Can Sing" (You say you've seen seven wonders, and your bird is green.)

Featured are the green magpie (the real one has such a more spectacular shade of green on its head I had no idea how to mix), green aracari, green kingfisher (his bill is way too thick), green pygmy-goose, green woodpecker, green jay, and green oropendula. I tried to sketch them quickly as though I was seeing them in the wild. Birds, why must you be so attractive but hard to paint?

No comments: