Tuesday, February 09, 2010

100 Furry Milk-drinkers


Ah, a new art challenge for myself. I wanted to use gouache, and got out my black sketchbook. I painted this little elephant drinking strawberry milk first, and was inspired to try to paint 100 tiny pictures. Now, a few things I like are mammals, cute things, and food. So, what better to make than 100 tiny mammals with food! A came up with a few guidelines: each mammal will be different, each will be holding a food or drink item, each will have some kind of clothes or other body adornment, each will have tiny indigo dots for eyes, each will have a fruit or flower somewhere, and each will have pink cheeks. Phew, that's a lot!



I figured if I did five a day, I'd be done by the end of the month. I don't know if I'll keep up that pace, but the first five were completed. Each painting is about an inch high, so these are scanned at five times actual size or so. This makes all errors even more glaring. While the elephant is highly stylized, the next few are getting more detail.





The beaver is using cob knobs! All of these have my trademark microscopic white eye highlight.





This echidna is eating one of those twisty unicorn pops. You can't really see the little toe nail ring on one foot.






This is a pika, if you can't tell. She's holding a blueberry muffin (maybe just the muffin top).






The last painting I did is of an aardvark with a beret and a loaf of french bread. Bonjour!


No comments: