Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Pushmi-pullyu

The pushmi-pullyu is an antelopey creature with two heads on opposite sides of its body. I made mine a blackbuck because I like their coloring and twisty horns. I enjoy drawing ungulates a lot. It's fun to make hooves and horns and skinny legs, and many of them have such cool coats. I will be painting more hoofstock soon!

See the painting in my blog's header. Gouache on magical brown sketchbook paper; I need to get another of these! They're fun! Gouache works well on this since I can subtract paint and let the brown show through for highlights. The original sketch is in blue pencil. You can see all the leg positions I tried and how I didn't finish drawing the horns.


2 YEARS LATER EDIT: Now that I've changed the header, I've added the pushmi-pullyu painting for easy reference.

1 comment:

John said...

Great artwork here! I found your blog via Google Alerts. My band is named Pushmi-Pullyu (http://www.myspace.com/pushmipullyumusic). Maybe we could work something out in the future about using some of your art? If you're up to it.

Otherwise, keep up the great work. I'll be sure to keep checking in.

If you want to connect, respond at jmkruse2 {at} wisc *dot* edu. :D