Saturday, March 15, 2008

Badger, badger

Another gouache painting in the little black book. It started out as of a comparison of the American vs. Old World badger, but I drew them close together and it looked like they were holding hands. Some more mustelids (there was a picture of a badger on the same page as one of a wolverine that I used for reference for the last paintings). I found that a good way to paint gray things is to use some zinc white on black paper; I didn't mix any gray beforehand. After the white dried I put a bit of blue or brown over to give the fur a bit of depth.

There are some other cool kinds of badgers that I might draw later.

1 comment:

Steve sculpts critters said...

I come from the land of the old world badger, but have adopted the home of the new world one.
Nice job.